In all honesty, we’re not that surprised to see you on this page. After all, both IPVanish and NordVPN are hugely popular VPN providers that have a lot to offer. Therefore, choosing one of these two is far from a simple task. We will do our best to compare these two VPN products and to help you decide which one should be your best pick. So, welcome to our IPVanish Vs NordVPN comparison.
As noted in our IPVanish review, this is a hugely popular provider with numerous advanced tools. Covering all popular platforms and beyond, this VPN keeps your sensitive data safe and sound, and away from prying third-parties. However, NordVPN isn’t a single step behind. Our NordVPN review can tell you about its shiny interface, ease of use, and unique features such as double encryption. It isn’t surprising to see both of these VPNs in our grand overview of the best VPNs on the market.
Before we go any deeper, we will provide a nice overview of the most important features of IPVanish and NordVPN. So, take a look at the following table to learn more.
|Device Support||Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android, Windows Phone, Chromebook, Routers.||Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android, iOS, Routers, Browser Extensions.|
|Prominent Features||Content unblocking; Real-time analytics; P2P support.||CyberSec shield; Double encryption; Skill-switch.|
|Server Network||1,000+ servers in 60+ countries.||4,800+ servers in 62+ countries.|
|Logging Policy||No-logs policy (questionable).||Strict no-logs policy.|
|Encryption||AES-256; OpenVPN; IKEv2; L2TP; SSTP; PPTP.||AES-256; OpenVPN; IKEv2/IPsec.|
|Privacy||DNS leak protection.||DNS leak protection.|
|Speed||Average; Can fluctuate, depending on a server.||Average; Some throttling can occur.|
|Number of Devices||Up to 5 devices.||Up to 6 devices.|
Finally, we have also included scores for these VPNs’ individual reviews so you can see their strengths and weaknesses. To dive deeper, keep on reading as we’ll dissect both of these VPN solutions.
|Installation & Setup||10/10||10/10|
|Ease of Use||9/10||9/10|
|Security & Privacy||9/10||10/10|
The only thing that remains is to take a good look at what IPVanish and NordVPN have to offer. So, keep on reading our IPVanish Vs NordVPN direct comparison.
IPVanish Vs NordVPN: A Direct Comparison
It’s safe to say that we’re facing a battle of VPN titans. No matter which one of these you pick, you can rest assured that you’ll be safe online. However, taking your time to really know their features can pay off in the long term. So, here’s our direct comparison of the two VPNs that will help you reach the final decision with ease.
The first category of our IPVanish Vs NordVPN comparison is related to cross-platform support. After all, you want a provider that offers a slate of native apps.
- IPVanish: In terms of cross-platform support, IPVanish is perhaps the most powerful VPN there is. It brings fully native apps for Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, and Linux. However, it also covers Ubuntu Linux and even Windows Phone. And if that’s not enough, you can install IPVanish on a range of compatible VPN routers. Once you have an active subscription, you can install and use this VPN on up to 5 devices at the same time.
- NordVPN: Being hugely popular across the world doesn’t happen overnight. NordVPN has done that by providing native apps for Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, and more. And since this VPN support the OpenVPN standard, it means that you can install it on VPN routers.
Winner: Both of these VPN providers bring astonishing compatibility with all currently popular platforms. Therefore, we need to be fair here and so we’ll call it a tie.
Installation & Setup
VPNs have come a long way since their early beginnings. Today, all reputable VPN services offer native apps across all popular platforms. This means easy installation and effortless setup.
- IPVanish: As you’ve seen in the previous category, IPVanish has done a wonderful job of covering a whole slate of platforms. The same applies to its installation. Speaking of desktop platforms, you need to download the installation file and go through this procedure like you would do with any Windows/MacOS application. The same applies to mobile apps. There are no bundled applications here or anything like that.
- NordVPN: Similarly to how IPVanish is doing things, NordVPN also brings a highly polished installation method. In case you ever get stuck, you can read manuals found on its official website. However, the problem is that installation NordVPN on a router might take some time since this kind of VPN usage isn’t covered well in the company’s tutorials. So, we do see some space for improvement.
Winner: Even though you won’t encounter any significant problems with either of these apps, we really like the tutorial section that IPVanish offers.
Every VPN trying to compete for your money has a distinct set of features that are intended to give it the upper hand over the competition. Let’s take a look at how NordVPN and IPVanish score in that area.
- IPVanish: IPVanish prides itself on the insane number of global servers it has. In total, the company claims to have more than 1,000 servers worldwide. In addition to this big, robust network, they also offer industry-standard 256-bit AES encryption and a no-logging policy. So even if they wanted to, they couldn’t give your info away since they never write it down. Just about every device that matters has a client for IPVanish. Hilariously they even have a client app for Windows Phone, for the one guy who still uses it.
- NordVPN: NordVPN really knows how to sell their most important features clearly and quickly. They also offer 256-bit AES and strong protocols, but on top of this, they offer something called CyberSec. This service intelligently blocks malware and suspicious activity. On top of this, they offer double VPN encryption, where your already-encrypted data is encrypted again. Nord also promises no-logging at all, that your IP will be hidden and that there won’t be any leaks. A great feature that caught our eye is the automatic kill switch. If for some reason the VPN connection drops, the client kills the data flow. So you can’t be exposed through technical failures either.
Winner: There’s just no comparison here. NordVPN offers so much choice, features and intelligent safety systems that make it hard to imagine why you would pick IPVanish over it.
Ease of Use
What’s the point of having a great VPN that’s too hard to use? The technology under the hood isn’t the only thing that matters. Your VPN service should be user-friendly too. So, let’s have a look at the process of getting each VPN up and running.
- IPVanish: The IPVanish client application feels pretty old-school. There isn’t much in the way of guidance and if you aren’t too technical, you may have to read up a little on the IPVanish site to get to grips with everything. It looks good in a sort of Matrixy hacker way, but I wouldn’t go as far as calling it user-friendly. Once you get the hang of it, however, you’ll be flipping options around and be connecting to servers all over the world. There aren’t any pure functionality problems, is what we’re saying.
- NordVPN: Once the program is up and running, you are greeted with a very modern-looking application. There’s a connection wizard right on the main screen along with a map pin showing where you’re currently broadcasting your location from. We really like the connection wizard, which asks you to tick the things you want to use NordVPN for. It then suggests the best server based on your needs. Then it’s just a matter of hitting them on the switch and you’re in business. It really is very simple and friendly.
So, how important it is to have thousands of servers at your disposal? Well, it depends on what you plan on doing online. However, a bigger number of servers usually means a lower chance of performance issues.
- IPVanish: At the moment, IPVanish brings more than 1,000 servers in more than 60 countries around the world. Almost every ‘attractive’ location is covered, with hundreds of servers located in the USA alone. This will make it possible to use Netflix or Hulu, no matter where you’re located. So all in all, you should be more than happy with what IPVanish offers.
- NordVPN: At the moment, NordVPN has close to 5,000 servers in around 60 countries. As you can see, there’s a drastic difference here (4,000 more than IPVanish). As you can expect, NordVPN will take you every corner of your planet, allowing you to easily connect to different kinds of servers. Many of those provide double encryption, support for P2P traffic, dedicated IPs, and more.
Winner: Even though IPVanish has done an interesting offer, it’s not even close to what NordVPN offers. With 5,000 servers under your fingertips, you won’t find a better deal today.
Speed & Performance
Aside from having numerous servers in front of you, it’s important to see who well they actually perform. So, keep on reading our IPVanish Vs NordVPN comparison to learn what have our tests shown.
- IPVanish: In the past, IPVanish run advertisements saying it’s the world’s fastest VPN. Even though we really like how this VPN performs, it certainly isn’t the fastest on the market. In case you connect to a ‘nearby’ server, you can remove any kind of VPN-produced throttling. This also means that some throttling might happen if you connect to a remotely located servers, and especially if that server is overcrowded. So, the bottom line is that IPVanish can produce above average performance.
- NordVPN: When using NordVPN, you need to pay attention to which server you’re connecting. For example, using double encryption will most definitely bring some overhead and your Web connection might struggle. Of course, this isn’t a concern for those having incredibly fast connections. Without double encryption, NordVPN can even unblock any ISP throttling, which is a huge benefit.
Winner: The numbers don’t lie, NordVPN gave us the most of the original line speed and that’s what matters here the most. An easy win for the Panamanian provider.
Security & Privacy
Most of the customers who opt to use a VPN care mainly about making sure they stay anonymous on the Web and don’t get targeted for all sorts of nasty net-related crimes. So to make sure that both VPN services didn’t let slip a glimpse at your true identity and location, we used dnsleaktest.com to see if any unsecured info was coming through.
- IPVanish: As we expect from any half-decent VPN service, no location info or the nature of our true IP address made it through. This is possible because IPVanish uses 256-bit AES encryption, which is known as one of the most secure ones. Also, you should know that this VPN doesn’t keep any identifiable logs. Still, it can collect some usage logs which help the company maintain their server network.
- NordVPN: The same story repeats in the case of NordVPN. Not a slip or a peep, and your identity is safe. However, it should also be noted that this VPN takes your security to a whole new level. The most powerful feature of NordVPN that you can use is called ‘Onion over VPN’. It combines the power of a VPN with an onion router. In practice, this makes you truly anonymous online. Not to mention, you’ll be guarded against adware and malware as well.
Winner: Due to offering highly advanced security-oriented features, NordVPN is the clear winner here. If you truly care about your privacy, this is the company that you can trust.
VPNs are great when everything is working right, but when things go wrong is when it really counts, so let’s see who provides the better helping hand.
- IPVanish: You won’t find any live chat here and you need to wade through a heap of FAQ material before you get to the email form. The company promises to get back to you within a day, although in our experience, they responded in three to four hours.
- NordVPN: We have barely typed our question into the Live Chat window and a nice fellow named Owen was already on hand to help us. He didn’t even seem annoyed that we didn’t actually have a real question. This is the best support experience we’ve had so far with any VPN service.
Winner: Instant help versus hours before you get a response is a no-brainer. The clear winner in this category is NordVPN.
No one likes to talk about money, but when it comes to how much of your hard-earned cash needs to be forked out for a good VPN service, every penny counts. Let’s take a closer look at this category of or IPVanish Vs NordVPN comparison.
- IPVanish: IPVanish usually charges $11.99 a month, if you pay month-to-month. At the time of writing, they were running a special for $10 dollars month-to-month, making this offer even more attractive. If you choose to go for the annual plan, then the total cost works out to $6.49 per month.
- NordVPN: The month-to-month pricing for NordVPN is the same as IPVanish, so no points either way there. Their annual plan, on the other hand, comes down to $6.99 per month. NordVPN also does not have a free trial, but they offer you 30-days to make up your mind.
Winner: As you can see, the pricing plans offered by IPVanish and NordVPN are comparable. Their monthly pricing plans are the same (with IPVanish often running promotions), and IPVanish is a bit more affordable if you pay annually. Therefore, IPVanish takes this round but not by much.
IPVanish Vs NordVPN: Which One to Pick?
It’s not even a close race and it’s clear why so many tech people stand behind NordVPN. We always thought they were trumpeting the company a bit much, but now that we’ve used it ourselves, we can’t deny that it’s an incredible product and an equally amazing service.